Farmers’ Market Co-Ordinator
The Langley Community Farmers’ Market Society is a nonprofit organization geared towards providing Langley and surrounding areas with locally grown foods, farm products, and other locally made products in a direct producer to consumer marketing venue. To learn more about the Langley Community Farmers Market, visit www.lcfm.ca.
The Market Co-Ordinator Position is a part time position, running from May 21st to October 6th with specific responsibility for the day-of operation of the Langley City farmers market.
This will include an on-site presence at the market during all market hours, as well as a small amount of off-site work during non-market hours, for a total of 10 hours a week. The Co-ordinator will report to the Market Manager, who works with the Board to set all market policy. In addition, the Co-ordinator will represent the market to the market’s vendors, the consumers, and to the community.
Duties – Market Day
The Market Co-Ordinator is required to arrive prior to market vendors arriving and remain until all duties are completed at the end of the Market.
The Co-ordinator is responsible for:
- Being visible and accessible to vendors and customers during the market day
- Properly placing vendors in stalls, including assigning market stalls to daily vendors
- Placing market signs, parking signs
- Collecting all stall fees owed
- Ensuring all Market rules and regulations are adhered to
- Being familiar with, and ensuring all Provincial, Health Authority, and Municipal regulations are adhered to
- Answering questions for vendors and consumers
- Resolving disputes that arise (in consultation with the Market Manager), and in accordance with Market Policies.
- Maintaining market grounds in a safe manner, including being familiar with the Market’s Emergency Readiness Plan.
- Operating market manager’s booth
- Having nutritional education materials to distribute
- Having recipes for seasonal, local foods that are available in the market
- Providing accounting and performance reports, as requested by the Manager.
- Being familiar with and communicating market policies, activities, and rules to vendors, keeping them informed throughout the season
- Bringing suggestions from vendors back to the Market Manager
- Conducting periodic customer counts each market day to assess the level of growth in market usage
- Co-ordinating with the Market Manager regarding social media strategies for Market Day
- Co-ordinating with the Market Manager regarding periodic vendor and customer surveys and feedback strategies
- Assuring the market site is clean once the market is closed and the vendors have left for the day
- Co-ordinating volunteers and assigning tasks as necessary
- Other duties, as assigned by the Market Manager and approved by the Board.
Duties – Non-Market Days
- Regular and relevant postings to social media sites as outlined in the social media strategy
- Assistance with creating reports and surveys around collecting feedback from vendors, shoppers and community partners
- Assistance with organizing volunteers
- Other duties, as assigned by the Market Manager, and approved by the Board.
- Ability to think creatively
- People person with skills in diplomacy
- Dispute resolution skills
- Good communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Marketing skills helpful
- Self-motivated, and able to work in cooperation with the Market Manager and volunteers
- Passionate about the community and local agriculture
For more information…
Cherise McGee, Market Manager
Paige Dampier, Board Member